Saw that saying at PetSmart the other day while shopping for Bear. You see, we're on a mission these days to find him a new bed. Something fluffy, cushiony, and something that will remind him that we have rules around here -- one being, Bear isn't allowed up on the couch.
Bear seems to have forgotten this rule. He turned 8 on Christmas. And as a senior citizen, I feel he's trying out some early bird specials (if you will) on his parents.

Recently, we've caught this dog up on the couch. Repeatedly. He, of course, thinks we have no idea. One night, not three minutes after turning out the lights for bed... I hear him sneak out of the bedroom to go take post on his new throne. So I grabbed the flashlight next to our bed, snuck out, and surprised him with a spotlight discovery. He knew he was busted.
But did he learn? Of course not.
Next day -- not two minutes after leaving the house, I came back inside because I forgot something. There he was, finding the perfect spot to shed all over.
Oy.
My point here is, our sweet 8-year-old is being bad. But it also makes us laugh. So it's really hard to punish him and truly enforce the rules. (Like all good parents should.)
So what do we do? We punish him by buying him something luxurious. I mean, how can you not when looking at this face?

I worry about when we have kids. Real, human kids. At least they don't shed.
Yay!! I remembered your blog address.... okay, okay - I found it on your fbook info. But, so fun!! Consider me an official follower and fan of all things Julie and Evan (and Bear!)
ReplyDeleteStop being such strict parents---he looks so stinking cute and comfortable on that couch! Stanley is allowed on the couch and look how well-behaved he turned out... (sarcasm of course...)
ReplyDelete