1.11.2016

A birth story (before I forget!)

We are now 13 weeks in to parenthood, and even I still don't quite fully trust my calendar. It can't possibly have been 13 weeks.  I swear we just brought her home.

Then I look at her. 

She's getting so big. And beautiful. More beautiful than the first time we saw her.  She's just... the most. 

So before the time keeps escaping me, I figured I'd write out her birth story before even that escapes me.  So here goes.

Austen June was due October 12, 2015 and made her big debut one day later -- October 13, 2015.


At our 39 week check-up, we mentioned to my doctor our concern of having a huge baby. Evan and I were both whoppers, so we figured baby girl would follow in our footsteps.  So our doctor offered to induce on the due date, Oct. 12.  We signed the paperwork, and if she didn't come on her own before then -- her birthday was set!

Then I chickened out. The day before I called the hospital and told them I wouldn't be coming in.  I just felt like I was rushing her, and I really wanted to feel myself go into labor naturally.  My doctor was so sweet about my hesitation, and told me all was okay. We'd give her a few more days.

By this time, my parents were in town and we were on serious baby watch.  Evan and I still went to the hospital the morning of our scheduled-yet-cancelled induction so they could check and make sure baby was healthy. She was. Our doctor smiled and said, any day now!  

Evan and I went to breakfast. I could barely fit in the booth.

My dad and Evan built a fence around the pool pump in our backyard.

My mom and I went shopping, and out to lunch.

Evan went to work.

I came home and took a nap.

When I woke up... my cramps had started.  Not close enough together to where I could "time" them. But I was definitely cramping.

We went out for some Mexican food for dinner, and I knew the cramps were now contractions. I started timing them on an app on my phone, secretly. I told Evan we were going to have a baby on the 13th. I told myself it was my last night in my bed without a baby.

We went home, Evan went back to work, I took a shower, and crawled into bed. 9pm, and my contractions were speeding up. I think I can wait until the morning, I thought to myself.

11pm... we will most certainly not be waiting until the morning. I was in labor. Full steam ahead.  But Evan's newscast had JUST started and I decided to wait until he was done.  (Before Evan sounds like a jerk for still being at work through all this, it wasn't his fault. I didn't exactly tell him the truth about how much I was contracting.  I kept telling him I was fine!) 
I took this photo of him, to document his last newscast "not" a Dad. Signing off!
Evan finally got home around midnight, and I met him at the backdoor. Told him to wash his makeup off (what wife says that to their husband? ha!) and that we were going to the hospital.  Contractions were about 6 min. apart.

Grabbing the goods!
One last picture... just a little excited.
Get in the car, drive to Saint Agnes, and by the time we arrived my contractions were about 4 min. apart. Yikes.

Check into triage, and PLEASE LORD GIVE ME THE EPIDURAL.  Contractions were wave on wave, right on top of the other and I couldn't catch a break.  Any breathing exercises I'd practiced went right out the window.  When we finally got into the delivery room, I threw up. A natural birth was not going to happen for me. (Not that I'd planned it, but by now I was BEGGING for the meds.)

They were so worth it. Shortly after, Evan and I were both laughing and enjoying our last moments as just us. We napped on and off throughout the night. My water broke around 3:30. I needed some oxygen at one point to help baby girl, who wasn't responding well to the contractions.  But overall, things were going good.  Just a waiting game until 10cm!


By the time the sun came up, baby was getting close.  I think she wanted to wait for my doctor, who wasn't on call overnight but came in around 7:30.  At 8, he checked me and said... "let's get this baby out!" Our sweet team of nurses got everything ready, Evan and I had one last panic attack, then it was go-time.

3 pushes later, Austen June was out and immediately filled our hearts with so much joy.






Our first family photo. <3
8:34 am, 8 lbs 8 oz, 21.5 inches long. Perfect in every way.

She did swallow a little bit of meconium on her way out, but the medical team was so on top of it and took care of her so quickly, I never had a chance to worry.

Once everything died down, everyone left, and she was just... ours. 



Named after the city we were married in, and my grandmother.  She was actually "Austin" for the whole pregnancy, but the morning of we decided to spell it -en because it felt more girly. I'm so glad we did.

Mimi and Pawpaw met us a little later, and Grammie's plane arrived from Denver that afternoon.  The snuggles were real.







And they haven't slowed down since! 
Made her TV debut on NBC that night!
Ready to go home!




Meeting Bear for the first time. He couldn't have cared less.
Like I mentioned, 13 weeks in and we are still over the moon. No, things were not easy as we adjusted to being parents.  There were many long nights, exhausting days, and tears shed.  

But I'll let you in on a little secret.  Generations of parents were right... it's all so, so worth it. 

We love you, AJO! We're so glad you're here.




No comments:

Post a Comment