1.26.2014

A lesson in Christmas snooping.


I mentioned previously that I wanted to discuss Evan's Christmas present in a separate post. So, here we are.

To make a long story short... I ordered Evan an Xbox One. This should've been an enormous surprise, considering we'd discussed before how it would not be a purchase in the immediate future for our household.

But then, Best Buy delivered the darn thing amazingly fast... and it just so happened to be on a Friday in which he had the day off. He saw the box.  And then the texts to his COD buddies began.

My husband suddenly turned into an 8-year-old child, texting pictures and creating gifs of his new "box" that he just KNEW contained his heart's biggest desire.  I refused to let him be right.

So Plan B lead me back to Best Buy, where I shopped the store for the last thing Evan could possibly want... that was also the same size as an Xbox One so I could swap it out in the box.  I came home with a bluetooth, neon-lighted karaoke machine. It was perfect.  Here he is opening his awesome gift:
He's smiling on the outside, but crying on the inside.
To his credit, Evan truly did put up a good front... thanking me, smiling, even taking it out of the box to set it up and play with it.  I couldn't look him in the eye because I would've started laughing... and at the same time I was annoyed he set it up because I needed to take that thing back!

I let this go for a good 30 minutes, before I couldn't take it any longer.  I just knew he was miserable, and I couldn't contain my laughter anymore.  So, may I present you: the big reveal.  (And I apologize for my super annoying voice in the video... I was near tears myself, because this was the greatest gig of acting I've ever done in my life.)

Evan sees his Xbox One for the first time:


And that, my friends, is my very favorite Christmas memory thus far in our relationship.  The lesson here -- don't snoop on your presents.  You might end up with a karaoke machine.

PS -- The yellow pants seem to be a highlight for many in this video. Evan liked them online, I liked them in theory, but alas... they shared the same fate as the karaoke machine and went back to the store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment